What you need before you start
Before you start, you will need both your:
- licence plate number
- vehicle permit number (also known as the vehicle ownership)
Both numbers can be found on the green Ontario vehicle permit you get when you register your vehicle with ServiceOntario. The image is a sample vehicle permit showing the location of the licence plate number and vehicle permit number:
- licence plate number is printed at the upper right corner
- vehicle permit number is printed at the bottom center, starts with a letter followed by 7 digits (for example, A1234567)
Who can use this service
- The online licence plate renewal and plate expiry checker is only available to people with passenger vehicles, light duty vehicles under 3000kg, motorcycles and mopeds. Most cars, station wagons, vans and SUVs are considered passenger vehicles.
- If you're renewing or checking the expiry of a heavy commercial vehicle (over 3000kg), bus (including school buses), or truck, please check the information on renewing your heavy commercial licence plate.
Never forget to renew!
Sign up to get reminders by email, text message, or phone call 60 and 30 days before it’s time to renew your licence plate, driver’s licence, health card, or Ontario Photo Card.